domingo, 20 de septiembre de 2009

The signal man


After reading the signalman I was so confused that I could not understand a thing. There were so much information that I could not focus on one thing. After reading it twice, my attention was focus on the supernatural things that were in the story. The “ghost” that visited the main character was a warning for him. Every time the ghost appeared, a tragic accident happened. I believe the ghost was trying to warn the signalman about something that will happen to him. The first two accidents were just a warning for the signalman. He did not realize about this, and he died at the end.

It was quite difficult to understand the story. That is why I decided to look for more information about it. I found out that this story was based on a personal experience of Dickens. He was travelling on a train when it crushed and killed 10 passengers. He escaped alive, but with some psychological damage. It really called my attention the fact that most of the time writers write about their personal experiences. They might change them a bit, but are based on what they lived.

1 comentario:

Clau dijo...

As you mentioned writers express their own experiences, fantasies and dreams in their works, otherwise how they would wake up feelings in people...

Don't you think that maybe the ghost was the shadow of what modernization was killing and bringing into society? Why?


take care,

Claudia